A Day in the Life of a Customer Experience Reps and Managers
About Mad Monkey Hostels
Mad Monkey Hostels is the #1 hostel provider in Southeast Asia. Our top-rated hostels are known as the ultimate spots for meeting other travelers and making memories on the road.
We’ve got something for everyone: great food, space to chill out, tours and adventures, and – of course – the best parties going.
We’re hiring Customer Experience Reps and Managers to make this magic happen at all of our locations.
The Role of a Customer Experience Rep and Manager
So what does a Mad Monkey Customer Experience Rep and Manager in our locations do, exactly? No two days will be the same, but the general idea is to show our guests an awesome time, all the time and keep them safe. That involves:
- Keeping an eye out for everyone’s safety and providing assistance when needed
- Leading groups on tours, pub crawls, boat cruises, or treks
- Promoting special events in person and online
- Providing basic first aid assistance, ensuring fire safety
- Creating an atmosphere with music and group games (volleyball, beer pong in the bar, it’s up to you!)
- Building relationships with guests (getting to know them, answering their travel questions)
- A bit serving and occasional bar tending where required – You work customer side of the bar
- Talking to guests about Mad Monkey’s awesome social responsibility work in the community
- Providing mentorship and demonstrating leadership by example to our local teams
The job has a different flavour at each hostel. Daytime duties and hours vary depending on where you’re based, but at every location you’ll be required to work in the bar from 7pm or 8pm until midnight or work on a day time tour rotation. You’ll have one day off per week, and lots of opportunities to experience the country you are based in.
Why This Is More Than A Job
Starting a job at Mad Monkey means joining our family. That’s not a cheesy recruitment slogan, it’s the truth about how we operate. We care about all of our team members. We’ll ask a lot of you, but in return we’ll take care of you.
You’ll be working closely with an awesome team from around the world. Everyone will go out of their way to help you settle in and feel welcome. It just feels different to roll into work every day in a place where everyone loves what they do. We asked some of our team recently how they feel about their jobs, and here’s what they told us:
Who We’re Looking For
If your friends are always describing you as an “extroverted, perceptive, responsible, positive, trustworthy, charismatic, eloquent, performance-driven, innovative trouble shooter,” this is probably the job for you.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A ‘people person’ that loves building genuine relationships and working with others
- Adaptable and keen to live in a new country/culture
- Able to commit to 3 months working with and learning a foreign culture
- Experienced in the hospitality and / or customer service field
- An excellent communicator and a natural at hyping people up
- Energetic, active, and adventurous whilst being level headed
- Responsible, with good common sense and a feel for their limits (drinking-wise and otherwise)
- Open to working anywhere and flexible with their plans
Best Parts of Working in a Hostel
We were hard-pressed to narrow it down, but our Customer Experience Reps and Managers would probably tell you these are the highlights of what they do:
- Meeting awesome people from all over the world
- Living in South East Asia, with the chance to experience different locations over time
- Going on cool adventures during the day, and being at the heart of the party at night
- Joining a team that feels like a family
- Opportunities to grow within the business for the right candidate
Don’t Apply If:
To each their own. If any of these turn you off, this probably wouldn’t be a good fit for you:
- Saying a lot of goodbyes as awesome backpackers come and go
- Minimal accommodations – we’ll keep a comfortable roof over your head, but it won’t be anything glam
- The role can be challenging and involves dealing with customers that can be difficult and rude
- You need to be comfortable being sober in a bar – our CER’s are responsible for customer safety so can not get drunk at work, even when surrounded by customers that are pounding down the booze.
Apply To Be a Customer Experience Rep and Manager Today
The Official Job Description
Due to the continued growth of Mad Monkey, we are searching for energetic, passionate, gregarious and professional Customer reps/ managers to work in our hostels in Cambodia, Thailand, The Philippines, Indonesia and Laos.
- You will be rotating between our hostels in Southeast Asia.
- This is a cultural experience, you will be living with and working with a different culture and is an ideal placement if you have a passion for people and want a genuine experience working in a different country.
- We are also expanding our company in The Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia and ample opportunity exists to develop and grow in the company.
- Working for one of the largest and highly rated hostels groups in the country you will be responsible for ensuring that every customer that enters our hostel leaves delighted with their Mad Monkey experience.
- You will be able to put the customer delight at the centre of everything you do. A charismatic people person you should genuinely enjoy meeting new people from all over the world and get personal satisfaction from delivering excellent levels of guest service.
- You will be responsible for running our in bar events program and ensuring that our customers get the most from their experience. You will also be required to operate tours and activities for guests.
- You will be an expert problem solver and be able to act with a level head and common sense in a very busy and fun environment.
- You will be responsible for expertly advising our customers on our tours, accommodation, transport and F&B options.
- You will be commercially astute and be consultative when driving sales that deliver the best solutions for our customers.
- As a “people” professional you will understand exactly what it takes to deliver an excellent and engaging experience for our customers enjoying their vacations and gap years and be able to separate work in a social environment from your own time.
- You will be required to work for eight hours a day for six days a week split between bar nights and tour days. You may also be required to commit extra hours delivering tours and experiences, engaging in training or helping around the hostel.
The Role in Detail
110% – Bar, Tours & Events Management – Customer side of the bar, ensuring that all guests are having a great time, driving experience participation without making it enforced fun. You will be responsible for delivering a monthly events schedule of fun events and activities for our customers in the evenings. You will be responsible for customers safety which means you cannot be drunk at work.
110% – Communicating with and listening to guests – The Mad Monkey is a socially responsible company that delivers value to its local community, you will be required to engage in our CSR activities and with our CSR partners and to generate awareness and interest in the work we are doing within our customer base. You will be responsible for communicating our core values and engaging in our social mission.
110% – Ensuring the safety, well being & delight of our customers – You will be responsible for ensuring that we provide a safe environment for our customers, including providing a safe and comfortable venue for women. You will be responsible for solving or escalating any customer issues to resolve all customer problems, and generally providing levels of service more akin to a five-star hotel than a backpackers hostel. You must genuinely care about the quality of the customer experience.
110% – Consultative Customer Selling – Matching relevant products and services to the customers’ requirements without having to resort to a hard sell. Advising customers on how they may get the most from their trip, promoting tours and activities that our customers may be interested in.
110 % Customer Service – You will genuinely care about customer service quality and the quality of our customers’ experience, it will be in the forefront of everything you do. You will understand that you cannot deliver on this whilst drunk, and must be able to separate work from your own personal time whilst maintaining a healthy life/work balance.
- Talk to 100% of our customers, from diverse nationalities
- Create and deliver a fantastic event schedule
- Take the lead in resolving any issues that may negatively impact our customer experience
- Build genuine internal working relationships based on capability and respect.
- Always be mindful of guest’s safety and comfort and apply best practices to the sale of alcohol.
Internal Working Relationships:
- General Manager – Works with the general manager to assure customer delight within the hostel.
- Bar Operations Manager – A working relationship with the bar operations manager to assure customer safety, F&B quality and events delivery in the hostel.
- Communications – work with the marketing team to import relevant information about CSR activities new products or services.
External Working Relationships:
- Customers – you will be representing The Mad Monkey, our values and our business and will genuinely care about the quality of the overall customer experience.
- Degree or relevant experience in the job field or adequate customer service experience
- Previous events or bar events experience is a bonus
- Formal customer service training would be a plus
- Understands the benefits of living and working with a different culture
- Appreciative of the cultural experience and working with local country team members
- Relevant responsibility training associated with the selling of alcohol and bar work.
- Formal customer service training would be a plus
Required Personal Qualifications/Attributes
- Committed and passionate about social responsibility and acting in the best interest of the community
- Innovative yet pragmatic thinker able to introduce new ideas to the business
- Exceptional listening and communications skills with customers and team members
- Impeccable common sense coupled with the ability to think ahead
- Confident and enthusiastic outlook on life
- Ability to talk to people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to listen with empathy and put yourself in the customers’ position
- Gets personal satisfaction in delighting customers
- Strong events and events marketing experience
- Commercially astute and business minded
Ample opportunities for both vertical and horizontal progression in a fast-growing, exciting and genuinely fun and friendly working environment.
Mad Monkey provides a full induction training course and on the job help and mentoring whilst in the role.
If you are interested in applying for this incredible job opportunity, please email [email protected] We look forward to hearing from you soon!